this comes from my friend Jackie. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds amazing.
Prep Time: 45 mins (including steaming the rice)
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings (12 cabbage rolls)
1 large head of cabbage (about 3 lbs)
1 medium onion finely chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp chopped pine nuts
11/2 cups brown rice, cooked
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup golden raisins
15oz can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp blk pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
15oz can seasoned stewed tomatoes (italian style)
1 cup water or veg. broth
1) Wash and core cabbage head. Place it in a large pot of boiling, salted water and cook until the leaves become soft and pliable, about 20 mins. Remove it from the pot and gently remove 10 to 12 leaves from the cabbage and cut the core from each leaf.
2) Shred about half the remaining cabbage head in a food processor. Spread it on the bottom of a large baking dish and set aside.
3) Preheat oven 350 degrees
4) In a medium skillet, heat some olive oil. Cook the onions and garlic in the oil on medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 7 mins. Add the chopped pine nuts, rice, parsley, raisins, mashed beans, salt, blk pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
5) Using approx 1/4 cup filling for each cabbage leaf, place the filling in at the core end of each leaf and fold the sides to envelope the filling. Roll or tuck into a neat package and arrange the rolls over the shredded cabbage.
6) Mix the water into the tomatoes and pour over the cabbage rolls.
7) Cover and back for at least 30 mins, or up to 45 mins if you desire softer cabbage.